This photograph shows the Wesleyan Chapel, founded in 1864, in the early years of the 20th Century. To the right can be see a corner of the school [built 1847] and schoolmasters house [built 1849], both demolished to make way for the new school in 1984.



This photograph is of the mallet used to lay the foundation stone of the Wesleyan Chapel.


As can be seen on the plate, the stone was layed by Mrs. M. C. Burnby, who then lived at Crosburn House, on July 28th 1864. John Abbott's father bought the mallet in a job lot at a house sale at Crosburn House and later gave it back to the chapel.